Saturday 28 February 2009

A Short Back and Sides

The farmers seem to be making the most of this dry weather we have been having. The tractors are able to zoom over the fields and around us a lot of hedging has been achieved. The hedges look like elongated angry porcupines but I know as soon as spring is here they will burst into bud.

Last night in the dark the tractors clanked and rumbled around the field behind our house, the headlights illuminating our sitting room. This particular hedge contains brambles, sloe bushes, ash trees and the odd oak.

11 comments:

Marian Dean said...

I always think it is a shame to see them scalped, but then by magic next time I drive down the road they are looking lovely again. I guess the farmers know what they are doing is for the best.
How's the neck by the way?

Love Granny

Maggie May said...

Elongated, angry porcupines...... I like that description and I have a few of those over at my place!

Lindsay said...

Granny - neck is maintaining movement achieved by the physio but it is still painful. I am due another session on Tuesday. Thanks for asking!

Scriptor Senex said...

elongatd, angry porcupines - I know Maggie May has already said it - but what a wonderfully evocative phrase!

Lane Mathias said...

What a wonderful description!

Sian said...

Great description. do hope your neck is better soon! I know how painful and inconvenient it can be!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I miss the hedgerow's of Britain, we don't really have the same thing here....

Gill in Canada

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It all changes so quickly at this time of the year - a few weeks and all will be green. Wonderful. A

Suburbia said...

It does look so brutal when they do that, but you are right, it won't be long now before it all bursts into life!

I like the first photo:)

Lakeland Jo said...

My garden could do with a short back and sides

cheshire wife said...

I thought that it was only the farmers around here that made such a mess of hedge cutting. It must be how they are taught at farming school!